The world famous Krugerrand
A tip to the hat of South Africa's flagship bullion coin.
This is a 1 oz South African Gold Krugerrand Coin refined and minted in South Africa by the Rand Refinery & South African Mint
- Authentic Gold product of South Africa.
- Orders of 25 or more come in tubes.
- Front obverse side (heads): The coin presents a portrait of Paul Kruger, South Africa's inaugural president, encased by the words “Suid-Afrika” and “South Africa,” reflecting the nation's rich legacy.
- Back reverse side (tails): The coin bears the image of the esteemed springbok antelope, emblematic of the nation, depicted in mid-run, accompanied by markings of the coin's weight and its year of issuance.
- Available in different sizes. See all of our South African precious metals products here.
Check diameter on specification tab and browse our storage tube options.
African Gold Coins
The 1 oz Gold Krugerrand is a piece of history shaped in gold, a beacon of wealth for investors and collectors alike. Struck for the first time in 1967 by the South African Mint, it was the world's first ounce-denominated gold coin, allowing owners to directly calculate the value of their holdings in accordance to the prevailing price of gold. The coin's 22-karat gold alloy, which is 91.67% pure gold mixed with a small amount of copper for enhanced durability, imparts a distinct, rich hue that sets it apart from higher-purity bullion coins. Its weight and metal content are backed by the South African Reserve Bank, ensuring that each coin contains precisely one troy ounce of gold.
On one side of the 1 oz Gold Krugerrand, the coin bears the dignified portrait of Paul Kruger, the revered former President of the South African Republic, symbolizing strength and integrity. The reverse side features the elegant springbok antelope, a national symbol of South Africa, captured in a dynamic, leaping pose that seems to bring the savannas of South Africa to life. This juxtaposition of political legacy with natural beauty speaks to the heart of South Africa's identity and pays homage to its rich heritage. With no face value, the Krugerrand's worth is purely based on its gold content plus a small premium, making it a timeless asset that resonates with the history and economic bedrock of the nation.